Sunday, April 10, 2011

Band Poster in Progress






Recently, in Mark Tedin's illustration course, we were told to create a band poster. He gave the class a project brief with the information that needed to be displayed, and bands we could choose from if we'd not chosen otherwise. I decided to go with the band that I'm in along with my younger sister, and older brother. Really, we just get together and jam, but my brilliant brother came up with the name X-Ray Smile. I thought it would be interesting to depict, and upon illustrating it, I ran into a few minor issues.  When we first conjured up "X-Ray Smile" I thought it was an awesome way to describe someone who constantly fronts a smile, even when they aren't happy. When it came to depicting this I realized, our skulls kind of smile naturally, and I wouldn't as easily have been able to depict sadness on the inside, thus the meaning was flipped. Aesthetically it works better, though it changes the meaning I'd originally loved so much.

This is the second poster, with the same imagery that I have designed for X-Ray Smile. The woman, and x-ray are done in sepia, and black and white ink, on a medium-toothed toned paper. I added all the text when I took it into Photoshop for editing.

TIP! Personally, I think InDesign is much better for adding text, seeing as it is designed to do so. I chose Photoshop for the ease of rendering the image, and editing the text simultaneously. Make sure when working in Photoshop that you don't rasterize important parts, especially if your peice will be printed large because it will be insanely pixellated. It makes things much more difficult than should be.

1 comment:

  1. Probably goes without saying but that'll probably be my favorite from your art for a long time.

    PS. Not stalking you.

    ReplyDelete