Thursday, April 14, 2011

Muse

I find it so incredible, the things that drive us to learn, to explore, and to create. Sometimes I wonder why certain things are so compelling, and I've no answer. The last assignment I shared, was my take on Anthropomorphism, done in ink. I mentioned in the class critique that ink wasn't really a typical choice in media for me. I tend to work more formally, rather than freely when it comes to lines, strokes and density but I feel like loose gestures are beneficial in this type of work. Considering I'd taken a new liking to the inks, markers, and pens I used I decided to take it a step further. It may be a step many have already tread, but for me it was new. I grabbed nothing but paper, brushes, and a mostly full bottle of ink.

I began the piece by blacking out the bottom right corner, and slowly transitioning it into a lighter more textured gradient...and eventually a figure. When I decided I was "finished" I stepped back and felt it needed something, so I found a rather larger paint brush, and dipped it generously in the watered down ink I had. Spontaneously, I hatched the background with an extremely light wash and watched as the feel of the piece changed. In one way or another, this was inspiring and began a series of similar alterations. I stepped back again, thinking it still needed something. I then added colored pencils, a deep purple and a lemony yellow for a complimentary affect. It ended up looking like I used light washes of colored inks, but in reality it was merely pencil and a lot less messy!

Once I finished this piece, I immediately tacked up another piece of paper, all together uncertain of what I would put on it. I must've stared at the paper for over 5 minutes before I began applying ink to the paper. Soon it was another inky evolution, much different than the first, but just as inspiring. I wanted to continue but realized this 'muse' would be my alarm clock's opponent in just a few hours if I didn't call it a night.

Now I lay here, with several other ideas, wishing I didn't have to sleep! Regardless the amount of ink left over (that I could easily be using right now) I've decided it's time to go to sleep. Soon, I will add to this post the images of the ink drawings I created tonight. Until then, goodnight! (morning!)



“We work in the dark, We do what we can, We give what we have, Our doubt is our passion, And our passion is our task, The rest is the madness of art"   Henry James

1 comment:

  1. I love when things paint themselves like that. :)
    But I love you more!

    ReplyDelete