Sunday, April 10, 2011

From Dawn to Dusk

I stare at this wall I've built,
Wondering
How I ever found the time.
"It shall keep me safe" I said,
"The ones I love, will enter another side."
 
Though, one among them
Not one that I knew
Crept around my quarter tower,
And so became
A loving interest, new.
 
"You are a precious flower,
One so beautiful mustn't be trampled
I shall build a second wall,
My dear, you'll be twice as safe.
Then your loved ones and I
Shall only come in."
 
I agreed upon as much
In only thoughts that you cared.
I still saw the sun's smile each morn
But I missed the moon's rise each night.
I still beheld my share of beauty,
So I hadn't the will to put up a fight.
 
Together we grew, and love
Began to bloom
"Such a beautiful pair shan't be trampled!"
I say.
"Oh, I say too!" He said.
 
Brick by brick
Yet another wall,
"There is still one open." We agree.
"And as strong as we've grown,
These shall not fall. We will be safe
You and me."
 
Weather wore on. The summer
was gracious...The fall, so grand.
Winter seemed a bother, and come spring
She lost her man.
 
For behind one wall,
From which she could not see
He'd spotted another.
By the time she'd opened up,
The sun had passed.
 
She soon saw
On the other side of the garden
A wall was being built.
Beside it was her love...
And a daffodil.
 
Was now his beautiful rose
empty in meaning?
Was yellow much brighter than red?
She built herself another wall
Promising she'd keep only him out.
"It worked, it worked!" She said.
But doubt did soon set in.
 
"This wall I built would indeed
let me heal. But I miss the sun's smile
The moon's goodbye
and the breeze I used to feel.
The light here has become less
and this soil is so dry.
I feel weak without you."
 
She awoke the next morning
To lo, a darkly lit room.
"This fourth wall, 
where did it come from?
Why has my sun not greeted me
...and why not have I bloomed?"
 
Her leaves became weak
and her petals had begun to wilt.
She'd too soon become rooted
and unknowingly
a victim of this silt.
 
She peered into the darkness
Hoping to find even one 
glimmer of light.
"I built this wall", She said.
"What have I done,
this isn't right..."
 
The walls seemed to close in,
She saw the sun briefly overhead.
Gathering up all the shine she could...
She lay down gently
In earth's desolate bed.
 
 
 
 
-Christina M. Storms
 

No comments:

Post a Comment